Car commuters in Swindon are being offered free smartcards to persuade them to try the journey to work by bus in the New Year.
Swindon Travel Choices, the organisation that promotes alternative methods of travel into the town centre, is offering the cards for use on Thamesdown Transport and Stagecoach during January and February.
Anyone who currently drives to work will be able to apply for a free smartcard preloaded with six or seven days of free travel.
In a similar promotion staged by Swindon Travel Choices this February, more than 1,100 free smartcards were distributed, with one in five recipients continuing to top up their cards and use them regularly. Some 32% who tried the bus as a result of the promotion said they used it more regularly than previously.
Swindon Travel Choices will be holding bus smartcard ‘sign up’ sessions at libraries around the town:
- Central Library Saturday Jan 11, 10am to 1pm
- Central Library Friday 17 Jan 2014 from 5pm to 7pm
- North Swindon Library Saturday 25th Jan from 10am to 1pm
- Central Library Saturday 1st Feb 2014 from 10am to 1pm
- West Swindon Library Saturday 8 Feb from 10am to 1pm
- North Swindon Library Saturday 15th Feb from 10am to 1pm
- West Swindon Library Saturday 22nd Feb from 10am to 1pm
Travel planning advisors will be on hand to assist with the application form. They are also available for free bus travel advice.
The amount of free smartcards will again be limited and conditions apply. The full terms and conditions are on the Swindon Travel Choices website